Thursday, November 6, 2014

Paleo Plantain Frittata



I'm not sure if this recipe would actually constitute as a "fritatta" but I'm not really sure what other realm of food this creation of mine would fit into. 
I've been hesitant to add posts about our paleo nutritional habits because I'm not completely into giving my diet a name, especially a trendy one at that, but also because the term paleo sounds limiting, as though one would be eating a sole diet of meat, nettles and berries. I prefer something like, "ancestral eating" or a "nutritiously-dense diet". I think the food we eat and the way it is prepared is absolutely essential to sustaining energy for the homesteader's way of life, which is why I plan on putting up more dietary-related posts in the near future. 
It can be difficult to get excited about our breakfasts without the use of grains. Eggs, bacon, eggs, sausage, eggs, vegetables, it gets old some mornings. So, after discovering a magnificently loaded apple tree on our property a month ago, we have been overwhelmed with an unidentified variety of the sweetest apples, perfect for some new breakfast recipes this fall. 

2 green plantains
1/2 tsp. baking soda
pinch of salt
3-4 eggs (depending on size)
2 TBsp. honey (if desired but not necessary)

This all goes in a blender and should look similar to pancake batter.




Peel and core 5 small apples or 3 large ones. Chop and sprinkle cinnamon on top. Add some coconut oil or lard to the pan. It's best to melt it or put the pan in the warm oven a few minutes to help dissolve it. Pour the batter over the apples...


and bake at 350 until the batter becomes firm and looks frittata-like. We sometimes add maple syrup, homemade jam for a sweeter dish and if I'm feeling like a savory dish, I'll put bacon on top of the batter and let it cook along with.







No comments:

Post a Comment