Saturday, September 27, 2014

All in a Good Day's Work


 For a long time now, I have wanted, in the worst way, to learn to build. So often, I look to my husband  to do the building projects on the farm. If he's busy with other personal or work projects my hopes for building farm infrastructure and home necessities get pushed down to the bottom of the To-Do List. Yeserday, out of curiosity, I picked up a Mother Earth News magazine for the first time and found a simple plan for DIY food storage containers that stack. For years we have been using plastic harvest bins on loan for potatoes and squash and need to return them next week, so discovering this plan couldn't have been more timely! I got a quick introduction to power tools from the husband, went to the local lumber yard and got to it!


Lars and I had a great time working together. He handed me every screw and I let him push the screw driver lever every once in while...





Here's the outcome with a bit of head scratching, a few drilling mistakes and an intense yearning to learn how to build. Next on my list: new chicken coop, sheep shed and a structure for hay storage...



Can't wait to put the potatoes in! 

If you're interested in trying out the plan, check out Mother Earth News Issue No.265

2 comments:

  1. I'm impressed! They look great. And I'm envious. I would love to learn to build. I could do it if someone cut the lumber for me. A scare with the saw did me in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few years ago, I wanted some wood cut for a frame I needed. I paid a bit extra to the lumbar yard but they did it…You might try that if a project catches your fancy : )

    ReplyDelete