Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Cozy Breakfast



Waking up this morning to a hazy, foggy morning, a cold cabin, and a leak in the roof that needs to be fixed ASAP (hence the ladder), called for a cozy breakfast. Something to get me going since coffee just never does it. 
I cook A LOT with plantains as the primary starch in our baked goods. Thanks to Paleo Mom and her recipes, my breakfasts have been evolved from the oh-so-common eggs and bacon to more variety. We don't tend to eat too many grains in our family, so the choices can feel limited. This morning, I played a bit with a recipe of Paleo Mom's plantain fritters and here's what I came up with...


Ingredients:

Two green plantains (although ripe ones would be fine too)
4 small apples peeled and cored (or 2 larger sized apples)
2 eggs
2 tsps of cinnamon


 1. I shredded the apples with a grater after peeling and coring them.

2. Then, I took the skin off the plantains, cut them into smaller sections and mixed them with the eggs in a blender until the texture was smooth.

3. Adding all ingredients together, including cinnamon, I used copious amounts of coconut oil to oil the pan and let the magic happen!

4. I topped the cooked pancake fritters with maple syrup and added a side of pork sausage- the perfect cozy breakfast!


I guess the meal doesn't look as wonderful as it tasted….but you get the idea...


 This is a paleo-friendly recipe and for those with gluten, dairy or nut intolerances and doesn't taste like a substitute for a "bread-y" treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment