Monday, May 18, 2015

Barn Sweater


Here it is! The very first adult-sized sweater to be completed by these two hands! I feel like I've gone through some kind of knitting rite-of-passage. It's hard to believe that after all those long nights and long car rides that I am able to finally wear this piece of work. And just in time for summer of course…

This is Carie Bostick Hoge's lovely pattern that I found some months back in an edition of Taproot magazine. It can also be found on Ravelry. This particular design struck me for the simplicity, the 3/4 sleeves, and functionality of it. It's important that my knitting projects be worn until they are grown out of or there are holes in the heels. Although I love the act of just knitting and purling and watching the garmet come together, it feels even more satisfying to make use of something I have made. This sweater will be no exception.



An additional knitting bridge was crossed when, for the first time, took the time to actually block something I have knit. I tend to loose all patience when it comes to the binding off phase and want to immediately have the piece on my body and worn for the next twelve consecutive days. But after $120 worth of yarn (I know, I know…it's crazy) and countless hours and cramped fingers, I took the time to set, pin, and steam it. 

All of the time and energy was well worth it. I have made my first sweater and even better, it's a combination of wool, silk and alpaca. Pure bliss...




No comments:

Post a Comment